ELECTRICAL ENGINEER Job
Date: Oct 9, 2013
Location: Amarillo, TX, US
Xcel Energy has an opportunity for a degreed Electrical Engineer to design and install projects at the Texas and New Mexico Power Plants. This Engineer will be based in Amarillo, TX. The Engineer will design and install capital projects as small as $20,000 to greater than 10 Million dollars. The Engineer must also be able to design, purchase, and install capital projects. Project Management duties are also an integral part of the position including estimating, budgeting, cost forecasting, and administration of the projects.
Assigned specific projects to complete. Independently evaluates, selects, and applies standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria, using judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications. Receives instructions on specific assignment objectives, complex features, and possible solutions. Assignments require the investigation of a number of variables. Assistance is furnished on unusual problems and is reviewed for application of sound professional judgment.
Employee is responsible for following project responsibilities as defined for the assigned project position.
Assisted by engineers or technicians on assigned work while being responsible for specific phases of a single project. Assists technical service personnel in proper execution of drawings. Examines drawings for completeness, detail, and accuracy as a peer reviewer. Checks manufacturers’ prints and coordinates between these and the company drawings.
Maintains a thorough, current knowledge of new and innovative techniques in the engineering field. Will serve as a representative of the company when participating in checkout, start-up, and tests of new or retrofitted systems. This will include projects engineered and lead by others as well.
At Xcel Energy, our customers' quality of life depends on the energy we provide. Every time they flip a switch or turn a dial, they tap into the energy of over 12,000 people working to make life better. As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers.
Xcel Energy has become a leader in the energy industry by demonstrating excellence in environmental performance. Our environmental commitment includes improving air quality, conserving resources, harnessing renewable energy, and protecting wildlife and habitats.
Xcel Energy's vitality comes from our people. It takes professionals in engineering, customer service, linemen, marketing and sales professionals, energy traders, mechanics, finance and accounting professionals and many others to power our company. We offer competitive compensation and benefit programs that include a range of options and coverage levels.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
- 5+ years relevant engineering experience in power plant operation, maintenance, construction, or design. Occasional periods of field/office work entailing travel. May be required to work in an office, on a construction site, as well as an industrial plant environment.
- EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) required
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization.
- The successful candidate will be placed at a level that is commensurate with the candidate's skills and experience.
- PE (Professional Engineer) registration may be required depending on business need
Xcel Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Nearest Major Market: Amarillo
Job Segments: Construction, Electrical, Engineer, Electrical Engineering, Curriculum, Engineering, Education