Project Manager III - Greenfield Renewable Developer
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for.
Provide leadership and coordination for the development of a large complex greenfield renewable development pipeline. Development focus will be on wind, solar, battery storage and other carbon free technologies. Responsible for creating an end-to-end project management work stream to implement strategies for identification, screening and control of sites along with initiation and management of generation interconnection activities.
The Greenfield Renewable Developer role will be a part of the Corporate Development team. The Corporate Development team is responsible for early-stage project development and acquisition of solar, wind and other advanced energy technology ownership; venture investing, research and commercialization of new technologies including advanced carbon free technologies such as hydrogen and long-duration storage; management of all utility-scale energy contracts with third parties for renewables and other generating resources; and other mergers, acquisitions, and divestures.
- Project Planning: Identify quality greenfield renewable project options including site identification, securing site control, coordinating landowner communication efforts, initiating and managing generation interconnection activities, and early site screening/development work. Develop business cases and secure required approvals. Lead requirements gathering and planning process while engaging all key stakeholders. Develop solution designs that define appropriate project scope, align with corporate strategies, ensure coordination with key initiatives, and assure dependencies are identified/addressed. Define deliverables, success metrics and key milestone schedules. Develop work plans, budgets, and cost/benefit analysis.
- Project Management: Ensure successful delivery of committed project benefits and operational metrics in a dynamic/complex environment. Independently manage detailed project plans to approved scope/schedule and provide cross-functional tracking as needed. Define and manage a regular status reporting process to monitor progress and resolve risks to goal. Continually identify opportunities for innovation and improvement.
- Financial Management: Function as project controller. Manage project financials including budgeting, forecasting, and actuals tracking. Facilitate RFP and contract management processes. Review actuals versus planned budget throughout project life cycle to identify variances and recommend corrective action.
- Resource Management: Forecast, schedule, and manage resources, both internal and external. Manage assigned contracts and associated payments/performance requirements. Develop and adapt a comprehensive resource plan for a matrixed team of diverse talent to maximize skills and minimize cost. Provide training and coaching to less experienced project team members.
- Scope & Risk Management: Manage scope change process for large transformational project or best practices for business area in addition to own projects. Identify risks and issues throughout the project and create mitigation strategies/contingency plans.
- Relationship Management: Communicate project status to all levels of the organization. Establish effective, collaborative working relationships up to senior leader level to maximize project efficiency, responsiveness and resource allocation.
- Minimum 10 years' work experience in operations, technology, finance, or comparable function; greenfield development and utility experience preferred.
- BS Engineering, Construction, Business, Information Technology or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 10 years’ experience in project management and process improvement; project management certification preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate, train, lead and influence others, and adapt to change quickly.
- Experience with providing work direction to diverse/distributed work teams.
- Understanding of core business processes/industry trends with ability to interpret/apply ongoing changes.
- Knowledge of project planning and business need justification process and methodology.
- Vendor/contract management experience preferred.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com.
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $103,000.00 to $146,332.33 per year
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Pay and benefit packages may vary based on position. Some employees are under collective bargaining agreements, which determine the benefits they will receive. If the information conflicts with the terms of the written plan documents governing the plan, the plan document will control. Benefit plans are subject to change and Xcel Energy has the right to end, suspend, or amend any of its plans, at any time, in whole or in part.
Xcel Energy endeavors to make https://www.xcelenergy.com/ accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Xcel Energy Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Job Reference #: JR101134